Friday, January 16, 2009

AFC Championship

Chargers at Steelers

The Steelers impressed me a lot, on both sides of the ball. They kept the Darren Sproles experience in check (on the ground at least). The offense moved the ball, especially on the ground. Willie Parker seems to be back. They just looked good. What really struck me was their ability to answer. I thought they were in trouble after the Bolts scored on that first drive, but they just took a deep breath and got back to work. They didn't allow the Charger run game to get going and they got a few big plays- the punt return by Holmes and a bunch of big runs.

Ravens at Titans

The Ravens on the other hand played a tight game with the Titans. I just love this Baltimore team. The defense is stellar and Joe Flacco is hitting enough throws to put them in the position to win the game. Who would have thought a Blue Hen would win two (two!) playoff games. The only thing that scares me was the fact the fact that Tennessee left points (and possessions for that matter) on the field. They kept shooting themselves in the foot which allowed Baltimore to finish out the game. But the fact remains that they still finished out the game.

Lines current as of 1:30a mst on Sunday January 18th, 2009 and from oddsmaker.com

--Ravens (+6) at Steelers

I want to pick the Steelers, I really do. They are the more complete team. They have a better quarterback, they have a better running back, they have better wide receivers, and they have at least as good of a defense as Baltimore, and they have been there before. But honestly I refuse to bet against this Baltimore team. I can't do it. I can't take my hard earned money and put six (six!) against a Pittsburgh team that doesn't really win big against good teams. They absolutely played well against San Diego, but I totally don't believe this team can win by six against a team that plays as solidly as the Ravens. I don't know if I can trust Joe Flacco, but that is what everyone said the first two weeks. I love the Raven's gameplan against Tennesee, they didn't let the rookie lose the game for them (hell they didn't even let him throw the ball inside their own 40). But when he Flacco had to step up and hit throws he did - against a stellar Titan defense - there is no reason to think he won't keep doing it. The defense will give Concussion Roethilsberger trouble. I don't see him getting going. Willie Parker will get some yards but the Raven defense won't break. It will be higher scoring than some people thing, but it will still be a battle. Baltimore has a "team of destiny" thing going and the more you think about it, the more they remind you of that 2000 team, which for those keeping track at home, won the Super Bowl. Ravens 20 Steelers 18

No comments: