Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ed Hardy vs. Trucker Hats, a discussion

DISCLAIMER: If you like Ed Hardy, please do not read this post. If you are offended by the word douche bag, please do not read this post. If you are a douche bag, please do not read this post. You have been warned.

The following is an exchange via
Facebook between myself and a Mr. Hema Tapa. The initial discussion was generated by me positing the rhetorical question of why Ed Hardy trucker hats continue to exist. After some initial banter about the overall ugliness of Ed Hardy as a brand and the douche bags who wear it, another question was posed:

Christian: My question is did Ed Hardy make trucker hats more douchey or did trucker hats make Ed Hardy more douchey? It's like the chicken and the egg.


Hema: No it's not. It was definitely Ed Hardy making the hat more douchey. Ed hardy is a bane on the existence of the planet and the people who wear his stuff are guys who need to be castrated.


Christian: I like your point but I might go the other direction, trucker hats were douchey before Ed Hardy got to them. I mean the "Jesus is my homeboy" hats were incredibly douchey. This is what makes the argument so complex.

Hema:
I think you are misunderstanding the subtle complexities between two things: douchey and trashy. They are very similar but also quite different.

Christian:
I might argue that there are different types of douche bags. perhaps like they categorize meat. USDA Choice, USDA Prime, etc. I understand the trashy perspective, but I don't know if you can argue that the guy with the skinny jeans and Jason Mraz nerd t-shirt and trucker hat is not a douche.

Hema: I would not say dude is NOT a douche bag. I would however, question your ability to tell me he is also not trashy. I feel Ed Hardy is trashy. Not trashy in a white trash sort of way but in a ugly as hell sort of way. One who wears such things are most certainly a douche for just buying it. "Jesus is my homeboy" is just trashy though. So while Ed Hardy hats (or anything Ed Hardy for that matter) are 100% douchey the trucker hat, depending on what is on them are also very trashy in and of themselves. "My other ride is your mom" being one of the best examples.

Hema: I submit that douchey is a guy who thinks he is cool for wearing/buying/having very visually offensive clothing just because he is told they are cool. Trashy is wearing something with a picture or a tag line you wouldn't say or do in front of your grandmother. So while all things trashy are douchey, not all douchey things are trashy. Or we could just go with all douche bags are trashy and run with that.

No comments: